Sandbach u3a News
We’re pleased to tell you that our Walking Cricket Team have accepted an invitation from Worcestershire County cricket club to take part in a walking cricket tournament at their county ground on the 28th of July.
They will be playing teams from around the country, not all of them u3a teams.
They have been told that they should play at least 3 games during the day. The games will be 8 a side and we are hoping to take around 10 people so we will have a couple of reserves and can rotate the line ups.
We wish them well!
Date Thursday 12th Oct
The coach will depart from outside the Military Arms, Sandbach Commons, at 09:30am
To book go to https://u3a.simplemembership.co.uk/Sandbach/Events/cheshire-oaks-2023, or phone Alice on 01270765856 or email email@example.com
The new team in place at Sandbach Partnership are looking at ways they can support the local community and volunteer organisations. There are two initiatives coming up which may be of interest to our members. The Partnership is looking for:
- volunteers to train to emergency first aid at work level. If there is enough take up to book a course the Partnership is looking to pay for two members from each group to be certified to this level. The idea is that there’ll be enough people trained overall for volunteer organisations to be able to support one another at events in Sandbach requiring a first aider. If you are interested please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Skills to donate to a Repair Cafe under the categories listed here https://repaircafewales.org/what-are-you-having-repaired-today/ (Yes they have registered with a Welsh organisation because it fits better with the Partnership structure!)
Find out more and/or volunteer here. Events will be organised locally and you specify Sandbach as part of the registration process – https://repaircafewales.org/get-involved/
“Picnic in the Park” 2023
Holmes Chapel u3a write:
Following the success of our two previous “Picnics”, we are now offering the event again, subject to the weather being favourable as the event is held outside! Members of other u3a’s are cordially invited to attend.
Date & Time: Wednesday 19th July, 12:00noon – 4:00pm
Venue: The Victoria Club field at Victoria Avenue, Holmes Chapel CW4 7BE
Facilities: Limited car parking, so please walk to the Club if possible, or car share; use of Club toilets; bring your own seats and sun shades
Food & Drink: Bring your own; the Club bar will be open
Entertainment: 5 Bar Blues, (a 7-piece band providing live music), and a demonstration by the u3a Zumba group
NOTE: This event is free and is for u3a members only. Please do not bring children and dogs.
If you are attending, please contact the organiser (see below), so that you can be contacted if the weather is against us and the event is cancelled.
Peter Shields, Picnic in the Park GL
e: email@example.com or 07968 727756
On a Lighter Note – a few funnies sent in by a Sandbach u3a member
- I’ve found marriage very educational. For example I had no idea there was a wrong way to put milk in the fridge.
- Beware of a new trading scam. My husband ordered some expensive jeweller, bu t motorcycle parts came instead. Thankfully they fit his bike.
- I named my dogs Rolex and Timex – they’re my watch dogs
- Over 100 years ago two brother announced they could fly. Turns out they were Wright …
- Bruce lee had a vegan brother – Broco Lee
- Have you ever tried blind- folded archery? You don’t know what you are missing.