Your Committee needs you!
Like all the u3as in the UK, Sandbach & District u3a is a volunteer organisation. Nobody gets paid or rewarded for what they do. We help ourselves. We have a large number of volunteers who help our u3a to run effectively on behalf of all the members. We can’t continue without volunteers, including those volunteering for roles on the Committee.
Our present Committee is a really good group of people to work with. Relationships between Committee members are excellent; discussion is thoughtful and detailed; decisions that are made are principled and well-informed. The Committee is open and transparent, with minutes of meetings and supporting documentation from meetings made available to members.
Recently I put out a request for a new venues co-ordinator, to replace Sharon Ginnis who intends to step down at our AGM in February. That request has now become a bit more urgent. Sharon has been in hospital during the past couple of weeks, and she has a serious problem with one of her lungs. She will be having further tests to ascertain exactly what the problem is and how best to treat it. As a consequence she needs to withdraw from most u3a activity with immediate effect. She hopes to be back in action sometime next year.
The venues co-ordinator role involves liaising with venue managers to find suitable venues, checking their availability for when groups might want to use them, making sure that the facilities and safety procedures are suitable, and dealing with any cancellations or issues that might arise. It also involves working closely with Paula Reilly Cooper, our groups & programme co-ordinator, to ensure that groups and venues match up.
If you feel able to take on this role, then please please give it serious consideration. It’s a great opportunity to work with and on behalf of members, and to really make a difference to our u3a. If you are interested then please feel free to discuss this with our chair, Stuart Naylor; our vice-chair, Linda Bilsborrow; or our groups & programme co-ordinator, Paula Reilly Cooper.
Sandbach & District u3a AGM
Notice of our forthcoming AGM and the related papers will be coming to your inbox shortly – do keep an eye out for them!
U3a Choir Concert
The u3a Choir invites U3A members to their informal Christmas Concert on Thursday 15 December at 2.00pm in the Wesley Centre. Admission free, but donations to the music fund would be welcome.
Our next Members Morning is on January 9th from 10.00 at Sandbach Town Hall and will be “A show and a talk with a mix of songs and stories. – The Life and Legacy of Ol’ Blue Eyes”
Sandbach Art Club Exhibition
Several of our members belong to Sandbach Art Club and this is a wonderful opportunity to see some of their work. 9th -11th December, The Masonic Hall, Scotch Common CW11 1FJ. See flyer for times
Warm PlaCEs scheme
You can find information about the nearest Warm PlaCE here:
And finally …
1. What did one DNA say to the other DNA? “Do these genes make me look fat?”
2. My IQ test results came back. They were negative.
3. What do you get when you cross a polar bear with a seal? A polar bear.
4. Why can’t you trust an atom? Because they make up literally everything.
5. Why was six afraid of seven? Because seven eight nine.
6. What do you call a hippie’s wife? Mississippi.
7. Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with a slow Internet connection to see who they really are.
8. Did you hear about the shepherd who drove his sheep through town? He was given a ticket for making a ewe turn.
9. How does the man in the moon get his hair cut? Eclipse it.
10. Among the things that are so simple even a child can operate them are parents.