This message contains a brief monthly update to let members of Sandbach U3A know about new opportunities and things that have occurred.
Review of Group Session Fees
The £1 charge for attending a group session has remained the same since Sandbach U3A started in 2003. There are exceptions; the groups that use paid instructors and the bowling groups incur significantly higher costs and pay a higher charge as a result. A study has started, using the data provided by the SWISH system, to determine a new policy for setting charges and we hope to report at the start of the new U3A year in September. There will be no change to charges before September and we hope that the new system will:
- be fair and transparent
- be easy for leaders to collect
- match, as far as possible, the cost of running groups to the income from groups
Quiz on 3 April
All 24 places in the quiz have been taken and the teams nominated are listed below. If you think your team has been omitted, contact your team contact in the first place and, if that gives you no joy, reply to this message.
|Teams||Contact for 3 Apr 19|
|Ancient & Modern||Joe Heacock|
|Batty as a Fruitcake||Phil Roberts|
|Carry on Bowling||Wendy Siepen|
|Falcons A||Alex Black|
|Falcons B||Alex Black|
|Fitness Fanatics||Shirley Catherall|
|Late Bloomers||Clare Phillips|
|Men Friday||Phil Roberts|
|Mind The Block||Wendy Siepen|
|Ping Pongers||Susan Doughty|
|Place Restante||David Boar|
|Ps & Qs||Maggie Sutton / Jean Marriott|
|Ready to Bowl||Wendy Siepen|
|Six Under Par||Steve Walton|
|Slow Walkers||Bill Crichton|
|Triffic Trainers||Phil Roberts|
|TT Racers||Joan Harrison|
|Universally Challenged||Jenny Haines|
|Usually Suspect||Kevin Dean|
Volunteers for U3A Desk in Sandbach Library
We staff an information desk upstairs in Sandbach Library on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month between 9:30 and 11:30am. Committee members and other volunteers answer queries from members and non-members, enrol new members and renew annual memberships. We are recruiting new volunteers who enjoy meeting people and can follow the simple processes involved. If you would like to join the volunteer group, please contact our Volunteer Co-ordinator Sandy Boyle via firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshop on Creative Thinking
The North West region of the Third Age Trust organises workshops to help develop the skills of U3A members in the region. Their next event is a workshop on “Creative Thinking” on Tuesday 30th April and the great attraction of this one is that it is on the doorstep. More accurately it takes place in the Alexandra Suite at the Crewe Alex ground and you can see details by clicking on the website.
This is not a cunning ploy to identify people who might be pressured into joining the committee. Improving U3A members makes the whole organisation stronger and it is a good opportunity to exercise the old grey cells.
News from Groups
- As a result of its move to a larger room at Sandbach Rugby Club, there are several places available on the Pilates (1) group meeting on Thursday 10-30 to 11-30. Sandbach Rugby Club is located in Bradwall Road, Sandbach with the postcode CW11 1RA. Please apply via the Pilates (1) web page.
- The Circus Skills group is continuing until the end of May. Remaining dates are listed on their web page and there are still vacancies. If you are interested in attending, please email email@example.com
- The Programme/Groups Co-ordinator will be contacting all group leaders shortly asking them for information about their groups for next year i.e. Sept 2019 to May 2020.
- If anyone is keen/interested in starting a new group and would like to discuss the possibilities please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Forthcoming Trips (see the website for further details)
- Bury Market & Steam Train Wednesday 10th April 2019 £18 (all tickets sold but there is a waiting list)
- King and I musical Wednesday 1st May 2019 £60 (seats are available on the coach only at £10. You may be able to buy a ticket at the theatre box office or you could just go shopping / sightseeing in Manchester)
- 23rd June Tour of the gardens at Highgrove House £40. No bookings will be taken after 24th April, when Prince Charles wants the money.
- 4th July Horse drawn narrowboat ride in Llangollen and steam train journey with a Welsh tea £37
- 15th August Southport Flower Show £27 (all tickets sold but there is a waiting list)
- 13th September Ludlow Food Festival £20
- 10th October A second visit to Grosvenor Garden Centre with lunch on a barge from the Mill Hotel £33
- 13th November Tour of the Liverpool cathedrals and guided walk £18
Tickets for this and all the other trips will be on sale upstairs in Sandbach library on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday morning of each month from 9.30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. If you are unable to visit the library, call Alice on 01270 765856.
Member Meeting 1st April 2019
Speakers from EDF will explain why they have filled giant holes under Warmingham with gas.
The showcase of members’ creative talents was well-received at the March meeting and will be repeated at the March 2020 meeting. This is your opportunity to show off the results of your creative activity.
We shall issue a more detailed newsletter in April 2019. To share information about something that has happened or is going to happen, please send details to email@example.com
This message goes to each member who has provided an email address to the membership team. If you know of someone who doesn’t use email, please pass on the contents of this message to them. All group leaders are requested to ensure that all their members receive the diary updates, which can be printed for reference if required.
The Membership Team
N.B. Library Desk. A committee member attends at the U3A desk upstairs in Sandbach library on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday morning of each month from 9.30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. You may enquire about the classes and register as a member at the desk.