The aim is to enjoy the countryside, fresh air and exercise at a leisurely pace, then socialise over a meal and drink. Each walk starts at a different pub where members order their lunch and change into walking gear before setting out on a circular walk usually around 3.5 to 4.5 miles. Walks are taken at a pace that allows members of average fitness to complete them. If you have any medical conditions that could affect you on a walk, please make the leader aware. Lunch is usually served at about 1pm.
We walk in all weather conditions unless the leader doesn’t think it would be safe (e.g. snow or ice). Some of the walks will include stiles and muddy fields so adequate footwear and waterproof clothing is recommended, wearing jeans is not recommended.
Walkers may be able to share transport and we would recommend that 20p per mile divided by the number of people in the car is paid (i.e 30 miles round trip with 4 people in a car = 30×20/4 = £1.50) towards the cost of petrol, please note, transport cannot be guaranteed.
Anyone participating in u3a activities does so at their own risk and is not covered by personal accident insurance.
Members receive the list of venues in September for the start of the year. The list below shows the leaders and the days they meet:
- Group 1: Peter Robertshaw /Tom Bradburn – 1st Wednesday of each month from September to May
- Group 3: Kevin Dean – 4th Tuesday of each month from September to May
- Group 4: Paul Hebden – 4th Wednesday of each month from September to May
- Group 5: Paul Billington – 2nd Wednesday of each month from September to May
- Group 6 (No Stile): Trevor Boxer – 1st Tuesday of each month from September to May
The leaders can be contacted by clicking the contact leader icon at the top of each group page.
Click here for the programmes of all groups